Monday, October 26, 2009


Greetings my fellow connoisseurs!
As for this past weekend, I spent it lovingly making the Recipe of the Month from the Rock Resorts newsletter. Chef Mary Nearn’s (La Posada de Santa Fe in New Mexico) recipe for Coriander Crusted Scallops with Chive Potato Hash and Sweet Corn Sauce recipe forced me to learn some “new” cooking techniques, including how to make herbed oil, how to strip corn on the cob and how to cook scallops perfectly. The sweet /russet potatoes combination with the scrumptious sweet corn sauce was awesome. I must confess that I am a total klutz with a knife, so my dear husband, diced everything for me. As for the wine, I originally thought about having a Sauvignon Blanc but out the corner of my eye at Publix, I spotted Ecologica, an organic wine made with 60% Torrontes and 40% Chardonnay, which had been touted as one of the first Fair Trade Certified(TM) and organic wines to be sold in the nation. I had recently tasted the Crios Torrontes ((pronounced tore-rahn-TEZ), from Argentina upon my son’s enthusiastic suggestion and liked it quite a bit. I wondered how the Chardonnay would recast the Torrontes taste and promptly dropped it in my cart for the modest price of $12.99. I chilled this wine for approx 25 mins and placed it in a terra cotta wine cooler. I let it breathe for approximately 20 mins before serving. It does have a convenient screw top.

Read on for the tasting notes:

Wine:
Ecologica
Torrontes Chardonnay 2009
La Rioja Argentina - Made with organic grapes
Alcohol 12.5% 750ml
Appearance:
Clarity: clear
Depth: light
Liveliness: bright
Color: light straw with tinge of greenness
Tactile Descriptors:
Nose: white peach, lemon, pineapple, apple ,orange peel
Bouquet: straw, hint of butter
Palate:
Light body with medium dryness. Balanced tangy fruity flavors with a note of white florals. Crisp and lingering moderate mineral finish. Excellent with the seafood and potatoes.
Summary:
I found that the chardonnay somewhat softened the crispness of the Torrontes and gave it a bit more body. I really liked this wine and would definitely buy again!
ps…my son had some with an iced cinnamon bun and said it went amazingly well!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, reading this made me very hungry. I think I will enjoy this blog as well as learn alot so write on. I guess it would be to much to ask for some recipes to, huh? :-)

    ReplyDelete