Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Countdown Summary #1 aka Please pass the Sangria!


So the Christmas Countdown has finished its first week. I must admit that at first I was a little sad and disappointed because I did not immediately receive any emails regarding it. (that good old instant gratification bug bit).  But as the week progressed, I got the best feedback possible.
On the first day of Christmas.....I gave a little Christmas cheer with a smile!
  • A lucky young man with a 57 math test score was spared bodily harm because Mom had the Christmas spirit.
  • One participant “loves” the idea of the countdown.
On the second day of Christmas….I gave the Christmas spirit without interest!
  •  Some one beat me to the Salvation Army bell ringer with a donation.
  •  Someone graciously gave up their lunch.
On the third day of Christmas….I gave Christmas greetings in writing!
  •  Someone shared their words at the crack of dawn.
  •  Someone was inspired to write an entire poem.
    On the fourth day of Christmas.....I gave a little Christmas silence!
    • Two participants faced the “no gossip” challenge as soon as they hit the door at work. Both were very uncomfortable with the situation due to their heightened awareness of the Christmas spirit.
    •  My husband and I constantly reminded each other to “wrap the tongue” when we began to make unsavory comments about some impatient and rude shoppers during the Christmas tree purchase. My husband actually turned a super negative ogress into a Christmas spirit-laden smiling human being with his gentle chiding and patience!!
    On the fifth day of Christmas….I gave Christmas laughter!
    •  I risked total humiliation and posted a holiday riddle on my FB status.
    I’m finding that I’m saying “Merry Christmas” much more often.  I’m successfully resisting the urge to kill and maim bought on by the rages of “hot flashes”, a stressed society and inept customer service. Could it be that the Christmas Spirit is trying to find a crash pad in me??
    I hope so, coz I have hung the “vacancy” sign for it in my heart!  To celebrate all the hard work we’ve done “Christmas-zising” this week…make a pitcher of the following doctored up Sangria and let’s enjoy a job well done!!


    La Buena Sangria
    **recipe can be halved…save the half bottle of Champagne for mimosas in the morning!**

    Ingredients
    2  bottles (750ml) red wine (a Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir works best)
    1  cup Sugar
    3-4 oz  brandy, Gran Marnier, Cointreau  (you can substitute with OJ or apple juice)
    1  lemon, sliced
    1  orange, sliced
    1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved
    1  apple, sliced
    For use later: 1 bottle of “bubbly” (Champagne, citrus flavored or plain seltzer water, ginger ale or Sprite)


    Instruction
    Mix wine, sugar, brandy and all fruits in a large pitcher or container and refrigerate for at least 18-24 hours.  A much more flavorful sangria is produced when the fruits and wine are allowed to steep than when using the mixture immediately.  OK, OK so the absolute minimum should be at least 4 hours!!  When you are ready to serve the sangria, stir the mixture and add additional sugar and/or brandy to taste if needed.  The mixture should be very sweet and concentrated, almost syrupy.  Add the "bubbly" of choice into the wine/fruit mixture until it seems to have a thinner, more wine-like consistency.
    Serve in ice cold goblets and include a couple of the fruit slices in each serving.

    Food pairing:  Spicy and/or Salty.   Paella of course!  For tapas-like appetizers try Triscuits with manchego cheese & boiled ham, fried calamari or shrimp, spicy meatballs, grilled meats.  Heck, even a big bag of Fritos would be great!!

    3 comments:

    1. With the stress of the economy, changes in our society, flood of information overload, we loose site of the small traditions that are meaningful. From Thanksgiving to Christmas we see all the good things people can share, simple greetings, smiles, donations, family get-togethers. Amazing that these posting help us embrace what is good within ourselves, let's share with everyone and make them part of our everyday life. Merry Christmas!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Gloria said....

      I've been saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone I've been running to instead of "Season's Greetings" and everyone is loving it!! No more "Season's Greeting" for me anymore!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I have been reading your emails about Christmas and even read the story about the Giant. This is the season to great with a smile and remember we are all God's Children!!!!

      ReplyDelete